Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Sunday August 2nd

That was the day of our annual picnic. It ended up being a beautiful day. The weather was perfect, the friends were perfect and the food wasn't too bad either. The week before was my birthday and Alex spent the week with us. For my birthday I got a new grill and new grates for my old grill and finally a side fire box. So I seasoned the grates for all of the grills. Attached the side firebox to my old grill and got ready. My new grill is awesome, it is charcoal on one side and gas on the other. I had a little concert going with the grills. My friend Shawn from Cedar Point came up and was helping out on the grill. It was my intention to do the chicken breasts on the old grill using the side firebox, but I didn't have the time. I also didn't plan on using the propane either, but needed to for the corn which turned out great. We had the bounce house and cotton candy and snow cones. Cheri came down with mom even though there was a race scheduled that day. It was a fun day, I think we all stopped to think about you, I know I did. I often wonder if you help with the weather. I have so much to remind me of you, of course I have my Ducks Unlimited spatula. James came to the party as well, he is still hurting from the loss of his dad. I want to be able to tell him it gets easier or fades with time but I can't and I know my friend Amanda still hurts as well. We all miss you guys on days like these, days when we can hear your voice on the wind. Days we can feel the breeze stirring memories long forgotten. I had a real sense of peace this year. I had time to reflect and I could here you say "slow down, enjoy." Love ya guy!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I've enjoyed all your catch up posts so far. This one brought me to tears. I feel bad for not saying anything to James, but even having been through the loss of a dad myself, I still don't know the right words to say to someone. 5 years later is still is so raw.
The party was great and we had a ball. Maybe next year the kids will let us stay later!
You know this is the first time you called me your friend and not Kellie's friend. Thanks for that :)

kellerie said...

but i still get to claim Amanda first!!