Thursday, August 20, 2009

Thursday August 6th

Okay so I implied something about Ditzy....Well all of the crusts she was fed made her throw up and of course she got it all over the sleeping bag. So here was my second morning in a row starting out at the KOA laundramat. I had been requested to make bacon and eggs for breakfast, so once the washing machine started I spent time getting the fire going and more time and more time. Eventually I got the fire started (a little tip if you want a fire proof house build it out of wood from KOA) and put up the cooking surface got out the fry pan and asked about utensils, well because I didn't tell her to pack any my wife didn't. So how am I going to cook bacon and eggs? The bacon was easy, and then I got a great idea, I took the bacon off the fire and put the pan on the picnic table, I had already cracked open the eggs and placed them in a cup, I drained the grease off and started the eggs cooking. I was able to use a regular spoon to stir the eggs and that was how I pulled it off. Because today was supposed to be a travel day I hadn't made any plans and we had asked people via Facebook what we should do. Mom and one of Kellie's friends recommended Sea Shell City and Tanis thought that sounded fun so after the sleeping bag was done in the wash we loaded the car and head out on an adventure. Sea Shell City was interesting...So we bought a couple of souvenirs including the giant jellybeans that look like rocks, I remember having them on my 5th birthday cake after Pike's Peak. We decided to head to St. Ignace next, where we stopped at Indian Village. Kellie really wanted moccasins so we bought those and Tanis got a toy slingshot. I had posted on Facebook recommendations for pasties and Mitch had been the only one to respond so I took his suggestion and we ended up at a roadside stand that didn't have anywhere to sit so we got our pasties and ate in the car. They were great, but didn't have gravy. I bought the recipe for $5.00 and plan on having a pastie party. So we had only wasted part of the day and I had an idea about where to go, I had seen signs for the Soo locks but the one I decided on was Tahquamenon Falls (I will simply say the falls from here on out). We got to the falls and decide to start with the lower. It had a very nice board walk to it, about 1/3 of a mile. We got out there and saw people playing in the water and being a bit dangerous. We did not play in the water but did some hiking. We briefly talked about the full 5 mile hike to the upper falls. We spent a lot of time here, and 2 squished pennies were purchased. We then decided to start heading back (we were about an hour and a half away). On the way back our GPS kept showing these little roads that you could see, but they weren't much more than a 2 track. Kellie wanted to take one so we did. It was fun up until the shrubs were growing in the way. Her Jeep is trail rated and the GPS knew where we were but the 1/4 tank of gas made me nervous, so we linked up with the next "road" and headed toward blacktop. We stopped in Mackinac city where we shopped around. We bought an Uno deck since we forgot ours and a Scrabble card game (plays like seven card draw). Kellie bought some popcorn, we bought fudge and then ordered BC's Pizza for dinner. It was good pizza the sauce was a little sweet and a little sparse for my taste but that meant Kellie liked it even more. We ate dinner in the tent turned out the lights and went to sleep. Ditzy managed not to do anything to the sleeping bag. I think because of the relaxing nature of the day, and all of the adventuring this ended up being our favorite vacation day. Love ya guy!

No comments: