Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Happy Birthday?

Today would have been your 60th birthday. I have been thinking a lot about what today means. Mainly I was thinking about what to do for mom. What would be appropriate to send her today? A flower, a pie, a card? I guess the real question is whether or not you continue to celebrate birthdays for those who have passed. I see you really have two choices when it comes to honoring the deceased, celebrate their birthday or celebrate their decease date. I think it fundamentally comes down to the person. Do I want to honor your life or your death? I want to honor your life I want to celebrate all of what you did, I am sure November 2nd will be a hard day for me, but today I wonder about all the birthdays I "FORGOT' to send you a card. Although I don't believe I ever missed calling to wish you a happy birthday. I wondered what I might have gotten you as a present this year. I think a father son outing. Maybe a baseball game, maybe a fishing trip, maybe a round of golf. People take so much for granted, we get caught up in our own little worlds and think that there will always be time later. I guess I got the present, I am not taking time with my family for granted, I try very hard to make time for my son. I hope you don't think I think less of you, I know you have to work hard to provide for a family, but when life gives me opportunities I am going to take them. I cherish the times we spent fishing, the time spent on the golf course, the time you spent talking to me while I grilled, those are cherished memories, but a little too rare. I choose to honor your life, and I will celebrate your birthday. Love ya guy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you did nothing but call. I’m not to the point of being able to remember the good times without also crying because they won’t happen again. I can’t think of the places we’ve been without thinking we’ll never be there again. I can’t think of spending a weekend with our best friends without him. I can’t think of him without thinking of all the things he wanted to do and we were going to do; he wanted to see a shuttle launch, see the Rose Parade, go to both oceans and spend the day picking up shells and watching the sunset or sunrise and go back to Alaska to the places he saw with his Mom and Dad. We each handle and live every day in our own way.
Love, m