Friday, July 20, 2012

What makes you like what you like?

Tonight I went to Babes (a bar) to see my boss Joey play (he is in a band). He was influenced by the Beatles. He loves to play their songs. I am not a very big fan of the Beatles. Why not? Joey and I talked earlier aboutGuns and Roses, we both admitted to not being fans when they first came out. I wasn't a fan because they were so popular. I tried to be against the grain ( I know that is shocking to you). But more than that I didn't like some of the artwork they used it promoted rape. Their songs promoted drugs and violence things I was and still am against (when we meet again you have so explaining about your sock drawer). I think that lissome of my problems with the Beatles. Their music is good some of it great even. But the content of some of their songs is very counter to my beliefs. And EVERYBODY loves the Beatles (strike two). How did i become a fan of one and not the other, what changed? First of all Axl's voice stopped grating on me. I listened to the songs and they told me that drugs were a culture they were in not necessarily one they wanted to be a part of. A lot of the angst in their songs started to resonate with me. In some ways they became a voice for me and how I felt, some anger, some hurt, and staying truthful to myself. I know plenty of people would argue that GnR sucks and I am romanticizing a lost cause but screw them. Ultimately I am not a Beatles fan because of a generational reason. Their messages just don't resonate with me they came of age in a different time and I haven't found a reason to look deeper no song has clicked forcing me to give them a deeper look. Just as I haven't give Maria Mauldar a listen either. Love ya guy (seriously though we will have a talk about the sock drawer).

No comments: